Re: SIGCONT misbehaviour in Linux

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
08 Dec 1999 14:41:31 -0800

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> writes:

> NOTE: I can as well fix the kernel for this, but I agree with Peter that
> returning -INTR looks like the right thing to do. (I don't know which is
> the official semantic for the syscall though)

You don't understand the initial problem. This is that

kill(SIGSTOP);
ptrace(PTRACE_CONTINUE)

is interrupting syscalls as well. It is fine if signals in general
interrrupt syscalls. But SIGSTOP & friends, undone by a ptrace() call
should not return since these kind of things happen when because of
reasons outside the program. I user hitting ^Z or gdb stopping and
restarting a process. The behaviour of the program is changed
dramatically.