Re: atyfb with 2.3.30 ond x86

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:12:51 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Gregoire FAVRE wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > To specify the frame buffer device as well, use something like
> >
> > video=atyfb:1280x1024-16@76 video=aty128fb:1600x1200-16@75
> >
> > The second part won't work though, because no one added modedb support to
> > aty128fb yet.
>
> I have added the lign
> append="video=atyfb:1280x1024-16@76 video=aty128fb:1600x1200-16@75"
>
> Is that correct?

Yes.

> on the 2.3.30 kernel entry and the system still hangs on boot, but just after the
> atyfb : 3D RAGE PRO (PQFP, PCI) [0x4750 rev 0x7e] 512K RESV, 14.31818 MHz PLL, 100 MHz MCLK
^^^^^^^^^
> I see NO VIDEO MEMORY or NO VIDEO RAM (I should have noticed it...).
> a few time (less than ten).

Hmm, this means the card wasn't initialized at all. Looks like we'll have to
write our own memory probing code for platforms where only one video card is
initialized. On PPC, all ATI cards get initialized by Open Firmware.

> And is there some hope for aty128fb supporting the boot choice?

Feel free to add it, it's not that difficult. Documentation/fb/modedb.txt is
your friend.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--