Re: Toshiba kbd patch

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:31:43 +0100 (MET)

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Also, I'm really rather nervous about 250ms being too long. Are there any
> really good touch-typists out there? I can easily see somebody pressing
> the same key more than four times a second, and I'd hate to lose
> keystrokes for good typists. Please convince me this is safe..

I've been seen to type 300 chars per minute (5 per second) for around
a minute. The inter-char-time distribution is not flat. That's the way
typing classes like it, but it sure as hell isn't. Some
left-hand-right-hand sequences, end up inverted, meaning that the
fingers moved almost the same moment, ending up reversed. I wouldn't
be surprised that as some end up the wrong order, some inter-char
times are as low as 10 or 20 milliseconds.

My laptop starts eating characters when its battery is low. Highly
irritating. I "feel" what I type, so I almost always KNOW what I
typed, even if it wasn't what I wanted tot type. So even when
blindfolded you will see me backup and correct typing errors. So
"deafening" the keyboard for a certain time is something I object to:
I expect to be crippled by it, even if it's only 10 or 20 ms.

(Sometimes, the keyboard repeat rate is too slow for me. I then (get
irritated and) start typing the key in quick succession. Usually
quicker than the repeat rate!)

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."