Re: Toshiba kbd patch

Andrei Pitis (pink@roedu.net)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:28:05 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 6 December 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Andrei Pitis wrote:
> >
> > Here is my latest version of the patch for fixing bad Toshiba notebook
> > keyboards - making sure the PC keyboard delay is at least 250ms, which
> > seems to be a good thing for others with broken keyboards.
>
> Well, it looks reasonable, but at the very least the magic constant "25"
> would need to be something readable like "HZ/2" so that it would actually
> work on correctly other architectures than x86 too.
Ok, though it only affects PC architectures: pc_keyb.c - is this used
for other architectures as well? Also, is there a safe way to
intercept/get kbd rate/delay settings? That would be a good delay to
use...

> Also, I'm really rather nervous about 250ms being too long. Are there any
> really good touch-typists out there? I can easily see somebody pressing
> the same key more than four times a second, and I'd hate to lose
> keystrokes for good typists. Please convince me this is safe..
Well, the delay applies to identical consecutive scancodes (not
keycodes), and only between the first and the second scancode in the
sequence, therefore it only affects keyboard repeats (repeats of
_key_down_ scancodes). People pressing keys quicly are also
depressing them :-), so this doesn't affects them.

Example (I can only remember the scancode for ESC :-)) sequence of
scancodes (though I am almost sure you understood, there is a slight
chance that my English is not as good as I hope :-)):

- keyboard repeat for escape:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 81

in which the 250ms delay applies only between the first and the second

- human repeat of ESC:

1 81 1 81 1 81 1 81 1 81 1 81

in which the patch doesn't interefere

> Linus