Re: Anyone talking to AC97 codecs?

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 14:10:53 +0100

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> exactly what data is written to the scatter-gather DMA buffers?

That depends on what the VIA chip does to the data. Most AC97
controllers like the ES1371 include a sample format converter
and a sample rate converter between AC97 and the BMDMA engine.

> The AC97 docs talk about input and output slots, so I presume that an
> audio frame needs a special AC97 header of some sort...

On ACLink it's just 20bit signed stereo samples (sent with
a framing protocol that is surely handled in hardware).

Tom

NB: What datasheets do you have from VIA?