Re: Binary drivers

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 20:03:37 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > You are a day late and a dollar short.....
> > I have been working on this for years to perfect the model that was
> > compatable with the "GNU General Public License" and its cousin.
>
> The technical issues for constructing a passably efficient interface are
> not exactly the hard bit providing you throw away the inline functions.
> The ability to run those drivers in user space so that they can be maintained
> is the biggest one of all, and one people who haven't spent years fighting

Agree....wrong direction....

> Solve the maintenance problem.....

Alan,

I believe that I have in the major/high points of the issue.
The principle goal of the design is to get venders to rethink their
threshold on the IP of hardware. It is a way to let them get their feet
wet during the transition period to eventual OpenSource.

We all agree that some folks will only be bench warmers (me being a former),
with time to ponder these issues while starring off on to space.
(I was a professional astronomer, until Aug 9th, thus "starring")

All we need to do is update "Rubini's" work and allow the vendors to come
to us.......I know that O'Reily asked you to do a suppliment, and one
tried to get me to volunteer also............

Understand that I require minimal exposure to the kernel to adopt the
the current "fops" or a version that will fit the model.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy