Re: fs type vfat is not supported by kernel

Richard Adams (pa3gcu@pa3gcu.ampr.org)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 19:08:33 +0000

On Sun, 05 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> I have one more problem, when I try to mount my Win98 FAT32 partition by
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/vfat
> I get a message like this:
> fs type vfat is not supported by kernel.
> The OS is RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12.

Is that 2.2.12-20 the distribution kernel,?? or one you have compiles yourself.?

Providing that /mnt/vfat exsists, then there is no reason why this should not
work with the distribution kernel 2.2.12-20 from Redhat.
Obviously something was not installed properly, make sure
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/fs has;
nls_iso8859-1.o
nls_cp437.o
vfat.o
fat.o

If there not there then you did not include the modules, but having said that
they should be instaled automaticly.
On full install it all works i can speak from experiance, i cant speak about
a work station, however i see no reason for it not to work.

Try the follwoing.

modprobe nls_iso8859-1
modprobe nls_cp437
modprobe vfat
modprobe fat
Then;
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/vfat

If that works then /sbin/kerneld is not running.
Possably an entry in /etc/fstab as

/dev/hda1 /windows vfat noauto 1 0

Will help you, then all you need to do is;

mount /windows

Of course the directory windows must exsist.

On a side note, all the mentioned modules are there on a standard Redhat-6.1
distribution.

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl