Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:32:49 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

>Firstly, /tmp should be a separate partition anyway. Systems with /tmp
>on the same FS as / (along with everything else :-() are
>mis-configured.

I disagree. It's mis-configured because right now you are using
side-effects of hard limitations as features as it's the only way for you
right now.

>From an fs point of view it make no sense at all to make /tmp in a
separate fs if you don't need to play with quota or hardlinks.

>Frankly, I'm appalled. Andrea, you should know better. You're

If everybody did a thing in a way and I am saying you that I like to
change is exactly because I don't like such a way. It's not because I
don't know the current way.

BTW, implementing revoke(2) is not hard (there was patches floating
around) and with such a syscall we could as well avoid people to take the
file opened. Changing hardlink semantic in my way + revoke would forbid
malicious users to leak quota space of users completly. OK, we don't need
it. Discussion finished. This is a completly _different_ issue.

Andrea