Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:30:46 -0700

Andrea Arcangeli writes:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> >Andrea, WHAT FOR? Give a rationale for your change, other than "let's
> >change it". Name a single benefit of proposed semantics.
>
> The rational is that I don't want to see my inodes sparse around the
> fs by an luser. I don't want to find them in /tmp. I don't care if
> he takes them opened, the root can kill his tasks and the fs layout
> will return normal then. It's a namespace issue. If I put my inode
> in my directory it must not finish into /tmp after some time by
> somebody that has nothing to do with me.

Firstly, /tmp should be a separate partition anyway. Systems with /tmp
on the same FS as / (along with everything else :-() are
mis-configured.

Secondly, since the "luser" can only put links into directories which
they have write access to, any namespace pollution will occur in
*their* directories, not *yours*. Thus you won't have to worry about
this.

The *only* disadvantage of hard links is that people can prevent you
from cleaning up when you reach your quota limit. On filesystems
without quotas, lusers will just punish themselves as much as you,
thus it's a self-correcting problem.

So, *IF* you are on a FS with quotas, and *IF* you are working in a
hostile environment, *THEN* you should lock off your directories.

But keep your hands off the VFS. It's totally unreasonable to suggest
that a useful facility be removed/castrated just because *you* don't
really want it and you're too lazy to properly protect yourself from
lusers.

Frankly, I'm appalled. Andrea, you should know better. You're
proposing a change that will hurt others and give you marginally more
convenience (without providing any really new functionality). It looks
selfish.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au