Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:18:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> >Andrea, you _do_ realize that CODA is not a Linux-only thing? So it's
>
> Have I ever talked about coda in first place?

Oh, great. So your reasons should pass for arbitrary filesystem, right?
Let's see: you are not closing any security hole. You are creating
gratitious incompatibility with everything and sundry, just because you
can't be bothered to learn standard mechanisms (make a directory
unavaliable and none of the links there will be cloned). You propose
schemes that require root being involved (group creation, for one).
Great. Sorry, but count me against that. Submit such patches to Linus, if
you want - he has the final word here, but I'm against that misfeature.