Re: Breakage in arch/i386/kernel/time.c

Benjamin C.R. LaHaise (blah@kvack.org)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:29:26 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Sergey Kubushin writes:

> > Don't use ancient kgcc(Kernel GNU C Compiler)-2.7.x.x, use mainstream
> > gcc-2.95.2 instead :))
>
> That's not a helpful response. Firstly, AFAIK, gcc 2.95.x is still
> suspect (it's not had the rigorous testing that gcc 2.7.3.x has
> had). Secondly, gcc 2.7.3.x is the recommended compiler in
> Documentation/Changes.

The breakage comes about due to the changes to the spinlock code. time.c
does some really braindead things by forcing the use of specific registers
for the variables passed to the asm. One fix would be to remove the
register specifications, another is to make the function non-inline and
another is to deprecate the use of gcc 2.7.2. Personally, given the bugs
in 2.7.2 wrt register allocation, I'm in favour of getting people to move
forward to gcc 2.95 asap.

-ben