Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:07:33 -0700

Andrea Arcangeli writes:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> >A hard link is the ideal solution. Many users can "lock" the file so
> >that they will retain access to it without consuming more space. When
> >each user has lost interest, the space is reclaimed.
>
> You could continue to take advantage of the hardlink by using the
> unix groups.

What? Having group write on the directory? No thanks.

I shouldn't have to do *anything* to take advantage of hard links.
They should just work the way they've always done, which is what makes
them so useful.

AFAICT, the only reason to restrict hard links is to make some FS
easier to implement. Personally, I think that's a loss for that
FS. But changing VFS semantics is absolutely NOT ON. I will be very
angry if I can't do hard links with a decent FS like ext2.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca