Re: upper/lowercase with vfat issues

Wolfram Pienkoss (wp@bsz.shk.th.schule.de)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:50:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

on Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:29:58 +0200 Nerijus <nerijus@sat.lt> wrote:

> there were some complaints about linux not handling upper/lowercase
> filenames in vfat correctly (they are below). So I did some investigation.
> I created following directories (or files, it does not matter):
>
> in Linux: LINUP, linlow
> in win98: 98UP, 98low
> in NT4: NTUP, ntlow
> in W2k: W2KUP, w2klow
>
> Now what ls/dir shows:
>
> in Linux: LINUP, linlow, 98up, 98low, ntup, ntlow, w2kup, w2klow
> in win98: LINUP, LINLOW, 98UP, 98low, NTUP, NTLOW, W2KUP, W2KLOW
> in NT4: LINUP, linlow, 98UP, 98low, NTUP, ntlow, W2KUP, w2klow
> in W2K: LINUP, linlow, 98UP, 98low, NTUP, ntlow, W2KUP, w2klow
>
> So I would suggest NT/W2K shows everything correctly (if we can call so,
> because microsoft mixed everything up), and win98/Linux shows differently
> in opposite directions. I think Linux should follow one of win95/98 or NT/W2K,
> and since NT/W2K seams more reasonable, Linux could display filenames
> like NT (Linux creates filenames similar to NT already).
>
> There is no such problem with mixed up/low or with filenames
> containing more than 8 characters.
The vfat file system lowercases all file names without long Unicode part,
e.g. created under DOS. If we create a file or directory with Linux vfat,
the name will uppercased and no long part will created if lenghth and
charset is conform to DOS rules. This seems me to be the reason for
described behaviour. In my patch for short name translation it is simple
to change this behaviour for creating always the long part of file names
with unchanged case of chars.

Best regards,
Wolfram