Re: Help! with Linksys Etherfast LNE 100 TX

John Kacur (kacur1@home.com)
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 18:53:19 -0500

daveflory@attglobal.net wrote:

> Try copying the tulip.c driver that is included on the Linksys Disk 2
> onto /usr/src/linux/drivers/net and then recompile the kernel with the
> tulip driver enabled. For some reason the lastest tulip.c drivers, as
> well as the ones included with RH, do not work with the Linksys card.
> However, the older modified driver on the Linksys diskette does.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Flory
>
> yangboy@math.ntu.edu.tw wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I bought a "Switched network in a box" kit from Cyberian Outpost
> > after reading an article in Linux Journal. But I am having problems just
> > getting the included 10/100 PCI NICs to run. When I try to use DEC Tulip
> > drivers, I get "Delayed eth0 initialization" when booting and dmesg shows
> > "unknown Tulip type PCI NIC" or something similar. Can someone help? I'm
> > running a straight Red Hat Linux 6.1 out of the box on a old PII/233.
> >
> > The card has a sticker with "Linksys C98-00538247 LNE100A0" on
> > the back and the chip in front says Linksys LNE100TX ....."
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help rendered or any tips ...
>
> -

Well, I use the very latest tulip driver that is provided by Donald
Becker, and that's what works best for me.(v0.91)
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.c
The article in LJ explains how to compile the code, but it is very
straight forward, you can even just use 'tail tulip.c' to get the
compile command, and cut and paste it into your xterm. Usually you want

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

unless you have an SMP machine.
then use:
gcc -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c
tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

There's also a linux-tulip mailing list or you can just read the on-line
archives.
http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/listarchives/

Good Luck.
John Kacur