Re: spinlock

Marc Lehmann (pcg@opengroup.org)
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:57:14 +0100

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 11:56:56PM +0000, David Wragg <dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> It might seem like I'm harping on about the C standard. It's not
> directly relevant to gcc as it is used in kernel programming, but it
> does constrain the gcc developers, so it can be useful for predicting

The conclusion from the gcc developers was that this property (single
instruction) is quite useless in practise (you can't guarantee it under
most circumstances), and it is not too useful either (e.g. smp).

The rules on when the compiler would use such instructions and when not
are also too convoluted to be useful.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|