Re: Compiling device drivers

Anil Kumar S R (anilsr@sasi.com)
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:30:37 +0530

Hi,
1. Use
#insmod -f driver.o
This is used to force the module insertion even if there is a kernel
version mismatch.

2. The best way would be, In the Makefile for the driver
at the version dependencies include the header file
/linux/version.h
So while compilation it will take whatever kernel version is
available in /linux/version.h
In /linux/Version.h
#define UTS_RELEASE "version Num"
In /linux/module.h
#ifndef __NO_VERSION__
"kernel_version=" UTS_RELEASE;
#endif

and finally as linux/module.h is included in your driver it will take
the version whatever is in /linux/version.h

3.(not sure)
Try
In the driver code itself
#define __NO_VERSION__