Re: Q: Kernel upgrade [newbie]

Rui Sousa (rsousa@grad.physics.sunysb.edu)
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 03:31:05 -0500

ilan Bloch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm about to upgrade my 2.2.5-15 kernel to the latest stable (2.2.13 i think).
This is a RedHat kernel which contains some extra patches. You will be better of
downloading the linux-2.2.13 tar file.

> Although a newbie, I feel approximately confident with the half dozens
> make's of kernel compiling.
> Now the question : in order to patch from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6, which patch am i
> supposed to apply: patch-2.2.5 or patch-2.2.6 on the existing 2.2.5 ?
> And while we're at it, what's the exact command line.
If you try this in the above kernel it will fail but for the record:

You apply patch-2.2.6 to go from kernel 2.2.5 to 2.2.6.
The easiest way is to download all the patch files into /usr/src
(if the kernel tree is in /usr/src/linux) and then do

prompt> linux/scripts/patch-kernel

This will take care of everything for you.

Again this will not work with your 2.2.5-15 kernel tree and instead of
downloading the linux-2.2.5 plus all the patches just get the 2.2.13 kernel.

Rui Sousa