Re: 2.2.13 networking: packets delayed by many seconds

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:17:59 -0800 (PST)

On 01-Dec-99 Alan Cox wrote:
>> 21143 ethernet interface & the tulip 0.91g driver. Packets are delayed
>> for many seconds, up to 15, and are then all sent at once.
>
> Try the 0.89H one again. (its old tulip in config.*).
>
>> The system got into this state after about 6 hours of heavy network
>> traffic (NFS and SMB), and could not be recovered until a reboot.
>> This affected all network traffic; I'm using ping as an example
>
> It looks like a stuck IRQ

I've sent and received many millions (perhaps billions) of packets with 2.2.10
and this driver without problems (ping -f for days at a time). I don't see why
it would start losing interrupts now.

Also, I did look at /proc/interrupts while doing the ping test, and the
interrupt count was going up (unfortunately I didn't examine it closely).

I'll see if I can reproduce it again and examine it more closely.