Re: Freeze in 2.3.29

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:05:25 -0500

Michael Meskes wrote:

> I just found a strange way to freeze (kind of )2.3.29 which otherise is rock
> solid for me.
>
> If I try to display the attached GIF using imagemagick from a remote host my
> Xserver freezes. That is I start X, rlogin to my notebook, call 'display
> 22383.rpv' and the mouse disappears. Killing the display command makes no
> difference at all.
>
> Now that in itself is not a problem but I cannot do anything from X not even
> log back into my machine. This works without a problem. I called ps to find
> the X pid but ps never came back.
>
> So I tried to just shut the system down. Shutdown starts and tells me it's
> shutting down but hangs before even starting the shutdown process.
>
> To me it looks like the processes are waiting. So hopefully providing the a
> way to cause this will hopefully help you find the bug.
>
> Michael
>
> P.S.: Everything works well with 2.2.13.

I had the exact same problem last night with kernel 2.3.28-pre3. I
tried to start up the X frontend to linuxconf on a remote box, and it
hung my X server (XFree86 3.3.5, Voodoo3). I killed linuxconf on the
remote box, tried killing the X server, and then tried to do a reboot
which just hung. I finally had to hit the reset switch. I looked for
any oopses in the syslog but could not find any.

--

Brian Gerst