Re: Network interfaces only for receiving

John Kennedy (jk@csuchico.edu)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 05:51:01 -0800

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 02:56:50PM +0200, Iusty Pop Daniel wrote:
> Nowadays there is an increased number of network cards which only
> receive data - DVB-MPEG sattelite encapsulation of IP packets (which I
> use), DirecPC, etc. ...

Physical limitation of the card, or conceptually?

> ... Isn't there anything that should be adjusted in the linux
> kernel so that it knows that some cards are receive (or maybe send)
> only? So that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter doesn't warn you
> if it receives packets from that iface when the default route is
> through a normal interface? Or maybe some other things, I don't
> know, but I feel like they (the receive only ifaces) should be
> treated a little differently.

Remember that the default route is used for networks that we don't
know a route for, not just blindly as an output interface.

For example, if you have two networks A & B and your default route
is out A, you will still have a route for the B subnet and all your
traffic for anything on B will go through the B interface.

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--