Re: fbcon + scrolling = irq timeouts?

James Simmons (jsimmons@edgeglobal.com)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:33:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Gabor Lenart wrote:

> In redraw mode there is NO any BIOS call after mode intialization AFAIK with
> vesa frame buffer as well. The only thing : redrawing the screen takes
> too much time in kernel time without process scheduling etc ... That's
> why I suggested a kernel thread to do this instead. But I think this problem
> is present with other non-vesa frame buffers as well if screen redrawing
> is not fast enough (however latency would be definitly better with kernel
> thread based frame buffer redrawing etc). This letter is strongly afaik and
> imho however :)

I agree something needs to be fixed. The the bigger the framebuffer gets
the longer its going to take to do things like clear the framebuffer
kernel side. I have been working on a new fbcon API that will use accel
wrapper to eliminated the latency problems. As for cards that do have
accels I have been working on software emulated accels used for teh
consoel wrapper. What I'm trying to do is to get it to do 64 bit
transfers. Hopefully this will cure the latency problem.

-----==
----== _
---== (_)__ __ ____ __ James Simmons
--== / / _ \/ // /\ \/ / jsimmons@edgeglobal.com