Re: fbcon + scrolling = irq timeouts?

Benno Senoner (benno@gardena.net)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:39:26 +0100

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Has anyone else experienced IRQ timeouts while playing MP3s and scrolling
> > large text files in a VESA framebuffer console? From what I can see, no
> > cards are conflicting with each other in any way. Maybe someone else can
> > help me out. Vital data:
>
> Welcome to VESA frame buffer. It uses BIOS functions. These can lock the
> interrupts off for a long time. Basically no cure available

before claiming that this is a BIOS issue do the following:

test this on a kernel with the low-latency patch applied with tuned EIDE
disks,
AND running the mp3 player at higher priority (SCHED_FIFO recommended)
than the cat command.

Ian, I own a similar hardware ( dual Celeron with Riva TNT2) ,
let mk know how to reproduce the timeouts,
(which mp3 player are you using what sequence of commands are you
running etc.)
so I will analyze the problem.

PS: Alan , I think most mp3 players use a relatively big buffersize
(most of time the full 64k of soundcard), and I don't think that VESA
disables
the IRQs for 370ms ( the time it takes to play the 64k audio buffer)

Benno.