[OT] Re: Please help me

Fred Reimer (fwr@ga.prestige.net)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:17:36 -0500

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 11:22:02AM -0000, sanjay Kumar wrote:
>
> > Hi folks, i got some problem in using linux.When segmentation fault
> > happens four five times continously OS is not working properly,insted of
> > I remove the core dump and core dump bug ,Why?
>
> Excuse me?
>
> What were you trying to do? What Linux Distribution? Version? Architecture?
> Hardware? Kernel version? Runing what application? What did the error look
> like (exact output)? What did you do before the error happened?
>
> You'll have to tell us a bit more if you want help. Calling the doctor
> telling him "my left toe hurts" will not help you much either.

Besides, a core dump hardly indicates "OS is not working properly" as it's more
of an indication that "Application is not working properly." If you had a
kernel panic that would be something entirely different. And, it's been
debated on this list more than once as to what constitutes the OS, but I tend
to define the OS as the kernel. Others may argue that it includes the C
library, and some "essential" applications like e2fsck or whatever, but you can
hardly blame the "OS" for the failure of a userland program. Just like you
can't "really" blame Microsoft if a particular application crashes regularly.
You can, however, blame them if an application takes down the OS though.

All this is off topic. As stated, no one can help with the amount of
information provided.

fwr