Re: [OFF TOPIC]Re: bdflush problem ?

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:34:45 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, François Désarménien wrote:

> Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > desar@club-internet.fr writes:
> >
> > Please, not another distribution war. This isn't the place for it.
> >

> Sorry, was not trying to start a distribution war. I just wanted to
> point out that such mistakes, and the lack of information from the
> responsable(s) can tarnish Linux reputation, which I don't like, hoping
> I'm not the only one.

Hmmm... You have been victimized by a problem in a Linux distribution, and
being French myself, I perfectly understood the tone and contents of your
posting against that distribution. ;-)

Building a Linux distribution seems to me a very complex and hard work,
given that guys have to make work together numerous ingredients that, on
the whole, live separately and sometimes in sin. The risk of a serious
mistake seems large and I am not surprised such to happen sometimes.

You must consider a commercial Linux distribution as a commercial product
not different from any other commercial product. The same way you donnot
purchase blindly a commercial product should apply to you facing Linux
distributions. A bad Linux distribution will likely tarnish itself rather
than the Linux kernel given that numerous excellent ones do exist for
years.

When a human (this applies to French people at least) is victimized by a
flaw in a product, he generally reacts by thinking and claiming that the
offending product is just shit. Obviously this is untrue, otherwise
everything should be considered so. Speaking for me, I have understood
your reaction in that context.

A distro war is very unlikely to happen given the number of camps that is
far geater that 2. Before such a war to happening, most, except 2, will
have probably to die of starvation. ;-)

> I apologize for having been off topic on linux-kernel,

Gérard.