Re: Problems with block device drivers

Keith Owens (mgibbins@mak.net.au)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:39:08 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:28:33 +1100 (EST),
> <mgibbins@mak.net.au> wrote:
> >I've just 'upgraded' from egcs to gcc-2.95.2 and have found it impossible
> >to load block filesystem modules. I built the kernel earlier with
> >libc-2.1.2 and egcs without problems.
> >/lib/modules/2.2.13/block/nbd.o: unresolved symbol(s)
> > end_that_request_last
> > end_that_request_first
>
> grep end_that_request /proc/ksyms. If it finds nothing then your
> symbols are not being exported. It it finds
> end_that_request_..._Rxxxxxxxx then your kernel was compiled with
> kernel symbols (genksyms) but your modules were not. Compile both
> kernel and modules with the same options.

Kernel configuration appears correct, I have
'end_that_request_..._Rxxxxxxxx' in /proc/ksyms and all other modules
load. It's only the block modules (floppy, nbd, ide-floppy, ide-cd, loop)
that are troublesome.

> Also make sure that the new
> modules are installed correctly and you are picking up the correct set
> of modules, not some old set from initrd or elsewhere.

The modules are built from the strait from the 2.2.13 source tree. I
have also recompiled the kernel. The only patch I've applied is the
reiserfs support and I didn't have the problems then. It seems to be only
since I've changed to gcc-2.95.2 and glibc-2.1.2 that I've had problems.
I haven't had trouble accessing the devices when the abovementioned
block modules are compiled directly into the kernel.
I've removed all old modules from the system and have recreated the
/lib/modules directory numerous times. At all times only the block modules
fail to load. All other kernel modules load without problems.
Thanks for the info.

--
Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
        Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,