Re: bdflush problem ?

Sat, 27 Nov 1999 01:56:06 +0100

François Désarménien wrote:
> # Things to run in every runlevel.
> ## Linux Mandrake:
> # Obsolete with 2.2.9 kernel. #
> #ud::once:/sbin/update
>
> is it normal ? What is new in 2.2.9 that makes update obsolete ?

There were some changes in the bdflush code in 2.2.8, but some of those
were withdrawn in 2.2.9. However the kupdate daemon was not introduced
until *2.2.11*; it's still in present kernels. I remember losing about
5 hours worth of data sometime in that range of kernels, and I had
/sbin/update disabled because I thought it wasn't necessary. Evidently
it was. I'm under the impression it is not required for current 2.3
kernels.

> I see, but I'm still puzzled between gcc-pgcc-egcs

gcc -> original GNU compiler project
pgcc -> spin-off concentrating on better Pentium code at expense of reliability
egcs -> spin-off concentrating on better social engineering of engineers
the better parts of pgcc are absorbed into egcs, and lots of
work is done in general
gcc -> absorbs egcs project, i.e. egcs becomes new official gcc project
absorption process not quite permeated whole world yet

enjoy,
-- Jamie