Re: inode_lock "decorative"?

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:25:09 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

>which is reserved by FS instances. Do you see? If "dummy" inodes are private,
>we can easily invent a way to allocate/release them from net and save
>lots of space and dereferences sock <-> socket.

Yes. I think that's exactly what Alexander was talking about.

>[..] The only things to do is close()/poll()/ioctl().

Of course the network can't drop the lock from there without breaking the
rest ;).

>(snmp counters etc.). I will convert them to cpu local vars in one hit,

Good idea, so you'll avoid the lock and you'll have to do the sum (without
locks too) only at /proc read time.

>BTW why not to create NR_CPUS bss sections?

So also NR_CPUS .data and "maybe" each one starting cacheline aligned,
right? ;). Yes looks like a good idea and would save lots of memory as
everybody is enlarging his structures to go cacheline aligned. Then we
could remove all the ugly stuff like the aligned_data union in sched.c...

Andrea