Re: bdflush problem ?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois=20D=E9sarm=E9nien?= (desar@club-internet.fr)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:15:49 +0100

Thank you for you quick reply !

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I've experienced a very unpleasant loss of data at a customer site today,
> > which seems strange to me, with a 2.2.9 (Mandrake 6.0) non-smp kernel.
>
> Built with pgcc ?

How can I know ? Is there a sign in the executable itself ?

> > I've been using uni*es for years now, and was used to have bdflush activated
> > every 30 seconds to flush dirty buffers, so this couldn't happen.
>
> bdflush runs every few seconds, so you are correct that everything should
> hit disk. Of course if bdflush blows up and dies bad things can occur.
>
> > - is my senario of dbflush not writing dirty buffers for 7 hours is plausible ?
>
> if it crashed

How could I know ? I don't have any process called 'bdflush', neither program file
with that name, just a man(8) entry.

> > - are there known issues about it ?
>
> No

I'd have preferred :-(

> > PS: please, if you reply with "upgrade to 2.2.1x", give me some clues of what the problem was: I
> > have to justify the problem will go away.
>
> For one the kernel developers explicitly say never use pgcc to build kernels.
> Mandrake 6.0 did I believe do this (6.1 uses gcc 2.95).

What's wrong with it ? pgcc, egcs, gcc which are they ? Here, at home, I'm running a Mandrake 6.1
and 'gcc --version' reports 'pgcc-2.91.66'.

> You shouldnt be getting corruption like that. The fact you get corrupt rollbacks
> worries me. I have close contacts with oracle people and I'd have heard if they
> were getting lots of reports like this.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I submitted memory corruption to the french Oracle support, and they told me
they couldn't do anything, because Oracle world wild support *needs* reproducible problems, so they
didn't forward it. Shame on them.

So, what would you suggest next ?

François