Re: dual pIII network / lockup problems

Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:08:12 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Hirling Endre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently got a dual pIII machine and can't get Linux to work well on
> it. With kernel 2.2.13-14pre apt-get says 'Bad file descriptor' for
> almost every file it tries to download. If I try to track the problem
> with strace, it downloads all files perfectly.
>
> Then I tried to switch to 2.3.29. apt-get works well, but if I try to
> start gvim on a remote machine via ssh X11 forward, X locks up and
> read operations on the /proc entry of some process (I can't read the
> /proc entry to know which one) locks too. I can log on remotely but
> cannot kill X, and after some time all processes stop. The kernel is
> still running, it accepts TCP connections, but the process listening
> can't answer them.
>
> With one CPU removed, 2.2.13-14pre works perfectly. I haven't tried
> 2.3.29 with 1 cpu yet.

I did encounter the same problem here (SMP, 2 x Xeon 550). The 2.2.10-ac10
kernel which worked perfectly on the same machine with 2 x PPro200/512 have
become very fuzzy and fragile when I did replace the 2 x PPro motherboard
with 2 x Xeon one. Sometimes I do have load average of 15+ totally out of
the blue (both CPUs are almost idle), all RAM and swap eaten and the machine
has to be rebooted.

Unfortunately enough, no 2.3 kernel after 2.3.24 (did not try earlier ones)
does boot here even if built with kgcc-2.7.2.3 :((

2.2.14preX do not go either....