Re: [patch] 2.3.29 alpha updates

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:54:24 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>bootmap either (on x86, i dont know about Alpha). We basically can assume
>that if a kernel image fits into some piece of memory, then the bootmap

Now on Alpha I don't assume it anymore and the allocation has no way for
mistakes (looks robust to me).

>fits there as well. The bootmap on a box with 1GB RAM is 32k on x86, and
>16k on the Alpha, so we are not talking big memory here.

I know the door for mistakes was small but as it's almost closed (thanks
to the bootmem allocator) now I closed it completly on Alpha making sure
to allocate the bootmap in RAM. So as far as the kernel gets loaded in RAM
from the bootloader no one weird mm configuration should be allowed
to break at boot.

The real point is that there's no downside is being smart as all goes in
the init sections.

Andrea