Re: [patch] alpha port 2.3.29pre3

Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:20:48 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 02:50:42PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Some device here wakeup (after SRM) with an _I/O_ base_address set at an
> offset larger than 64k ...

Yes, I know. It's the Contaq IDE controler on the ds10s and ds20s.

> and so without telling the kernel that the iospace
> of such bus is larger than 64k, the find_parent_resource breaks and we
> can't reinitialize the device (and reinitializing if possible we'll put
> the base address of the device in the first 64k).

Putting the device somewhere in the first 64k is _exactly_ what we
should be doing. If find_parent_resource can't cope with this case,
that is, an IO or MEM address initially outside the allocatable
range, it's broken. (I could have sworn it did cope, but last time
I checked was 2.3.18 or so. I've been delinquent.)

r~