Re: Hot PCI bus plugging

ak@ebox.de
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:56:40 +0100

Hi!

* Bret Indrelee (bindrelee@sbs-cp.com) [991122 16:06]:
> ak@ebox.de [mailto:ak@ebox.de] wrote:
> > Is it possible to use a PCI or ISA card, that is inserted while
> > the system is running, without rebooting?
>
> ISA: I don't know.

So there is some hope, that it may work. I think I will put a boring
serial card into the ISA-slot of the docking station and just test it.

sync, sync, plugin... ;-)

> In addition, the PCI drivers tend to be removeable modules that only do
> device detection when they are added to the system. Even if you were to fix
> the configuration problem, you would want to change the PCI driver interface
> so that the kernel could tell the driver when a new device matching it's
> properties has been added to the system.

Would be nice, indeed.

But I am quiet used to do it manually, because the scsi driver also
doesn't support hot swapping of scsi devices. So I have to unload the
module, connect or disconnect the dat or disk or whatever and reload
the module again. Of course you have to unmount every scsi disk before
:-(. This is the best argument to buy an IDE as boot disk, despite of
price, imho.

Regards,
Alex