Re: Fix for sound problems on ad1848 after laptop suspend

Adrian Bridgett (bridgett@deadbeef.freeserve.co.uk)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:05:20 +0000

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 15:35:54 -0500 (+0000), Christopher Neufeld wrote:
[snip]
> Some people may be aware of problems with laptops and the cs423* chips
> run on the ad1848.c driver. I have such a setup in my Dell Inspiron 3500
> laptop computer. The sound driver fails to work after the first time the
> system is put into suspend mode by closing the laptop's cover. The sound
> becomes broken, stuttering or ending early. "dmesg" reports DMA/DRQ
> configuration problems. The computer has to be power cycled in order to
> get the sound working again, though some commercial drivers can handle
> the suspend.

I get this on an IBM Thinkpad 770X (2.2.13-preX kernel). I normally have to
kill xmms because otherwise the suspend fails. Upon reopening the lid,
sound doesn't work. If I rmmod cs4232 and insmod it again, things work once
more.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. PGP key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux -*- because I'm allergic to Prozac -*- www.debian.org