[Fwd: Re: kswapd related oops in 2.2.13]

Arthur Pedyczak (arthur-p@home.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 06:47:33 -0500

kernel@kvack.org wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Arthur Pedyczak wrote:
>
> > request at virtual address 001befa0
> > esp: 8ffd1f1c
>
> Hrrm, this looks *very* suspicious -- the stack pointer is most definately
> invalid (unless you've compiled with 2GB support, which I suspect isn't
> the case). What sort of hardware is it/how much RAM do you have/is the
> hardware known good?
>
> -ben

You're absolutely right, I do have 2GB support compiled. However, my
problems
with kswapd began when my kernel had 1GB support. I tried 2GB hoping it
might
help - it didn't.
My hardware:
Motherboard: Assus P2B
CPU: PIII-450
256MB RAM
13MB HDD (EIDE - primary master)
EIDE-ATAPI CDROM (primary slave)
ATAPI CDRW (secondary master)
FDD

2 network cards
eepro100 (eth0)
3c590 (eth1)
sound card (ensoniq es1370)

As far as I can tell, the hardware is O.K. I first noticed the problem
after
upgrading from RedHat6.0 (kernel 2.2.5) to RedHat6.1 (kernel 2.2.12) It
didn't matter if I used RedHat's stock kernel or if I compiled my own. I
then
upgraded the kernel to 2.2.13, bu that didn't help either.

Arthur