Re: 2.2.14pre7 NFS bug

Thierry Danis (danis@mail.dotcom.fr)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 22:32:32 +0100

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 04:18:55PM +0100, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > Hi: My system is redhat 6.0 on a PC. NFS can't work. when i run
> > `df' , it can not terminate. and display this error:
> > nfs: task 24 can't get a request slot
>
> This means that the RPC socket is congested. Could you use 'tcpdump'
> to check whether there are any NFS packets being sent when this
> happens?

[...]

I have had that recently with all 2.2 kernels up to 2.2.12-20
(RH 5.2, RH 6.0, RH 6.1). Most of the time, the server was
not so loaded (in fact, other machines had no trouble with
it). What is sure is that the client could not recover from
that situation.

Another thing I have seen is a problem with autofs (at least
I believe it is related to autofs). Could there be a race
condition when an access is done to a remote NFS partition exactly
at the same time autofs attempts to umount it. When that happens,
every access to that 'not yet mounted' partition is blocked.
The only way to recover is to reboot the machine. Quite annoying
with a mail server checking for .forward files...

> Cheers,
> Trond

A+,

--