Re: [patch] Re: union mount - general questions

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 05:58:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> It was not written? And what is this?
>
> I'll tell you. It is union mount of / and /overlay onto /. Good luck
> with it.

[snip]

It's an ugly kludge. Badly broken one, at it. Heck, try to use ls with it.
Or make. Or pwd, for that matter. Try the situation when filesystems
actually overlap (have common names). No offense, but as far as I'm
concerned there is no way to get that into the tree. Final word belongs to
Linus, indeed, but IMNSHO it's broken beyond redemption.
Al