Re: Blank console on keyboard request

David Whysong (dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:20:33 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:28:35 +0100
> From: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
>
> This patch adds blank console keyboard combination. This is usefull if
>
>I gotta ask; are there really that many notebooks that don't have a
>built-in way of doing this already? (On the Vaio 505, it's Fn-D,
>although it's one of the Fn- combinations that's not printed on the
>keybaord.)

The Fn-D key combination doesn't work on the newer VAIO 505 notebooks,
such as my PCG-N505VE. It only works in Windows. The only user-mode screen
blanking program I'm aware of is the KDE DPMS stuff.

>And you can do this via a user-mode command, right; so is it really that
>important to put this into the kernel's keyboard driver?

Perhaps it is -- can anyone tell me how the Fn+<key> combinations are
reported to the OS? I tried showkey but it doesn't display anything for
these combinations. (I admit I don't know the Linux keyboard driver
though, so maybe I'm just confused.)

Perhaps a kernel module could trap the special function key combinations
and export the information to a daemon.

I don't care so much about display blanking -- right now I have no LCD
brightness or sound volume control, and the system idle doesn't work
either. Suspend-to-RAM works, but not suspend-to-disk (which is a BIOS
call, unlike most of the other non-functional features).

Dave

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student University of California, Santa Barbara
My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6 : FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88 1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91 : BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F 663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91