Re: Mark keyboard RAW mode deprecated

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:58:55 +0100

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 02:35:34PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:37:41 +0100
> From: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
>
> In times of sun keyboards and usb keyboards, keyboard raw mode has
> no longer good sense. People already had problems with it on
> powerpc: system then behaves different if you use different kind of
> keyboard. We should better let world know raw mode is doomed to
> dead.

I don't see why. You ask for it, you get it.

> Ummm... doesn't the X server use RAW mode exclusively?

Some X servers do. There also exist X servers that use MEDIUMRAW.

MEDIUMRAW may be slightly more efficient, but is almost equivalent.
For the usual keys both scancode and keycode are well known.
For the strange keyboards with unusual scancodes the user can
(via setkeycodes) assign the desired keycodes, so that these
unusual keys work on the console.
When I last looked at the X source (at least five years ago),
it was not possible to teach X about new scancodes or keycodes,
I think.

Andries