Re: Linux needs flexible security

sergey@memco.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:50:18 -0500

Mark Hahn wrote:

>> It takes two switch context for every trapped system called, isn't it ?
>> That would be tooooo slow. Especialy at multiprocessor system.
>
>so what? this whole mechanism is for paranoid security freaks,
>who can either take their meds or buy a faster machine.
>IMO, the Linux philosophy specifically rules out "features"
>that slow down the normal case merely to pander to the fringe.

Correct.
First as emploee of security company I can not discuss that here
Second I have the statistics for HPUX 10-20 715 ( 1processor) with some
security feature. The statistics is:

4500 system calls/second for UDP/IP sendto/recvfrom without context switch.
300 system calls/second with context switch. See difference ?

> mark hahn.

Sergey.