Re: [Patch] shm bug introduced with pagecache in 2.3.11

Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:01:56 +0100

Richard Guenther wrote:

> We are implementing a real-time audio-processing tool which will
> support tree-like filter-chains, each filter beeing a thread
> and mmaping parts of a global swap-file (the filters passing
> data (as pointers to a mmapped area) via sockets).

is your application really disk I/O bound?
I would guess that
- most of that global swap-file is always swapped in.
- "real-time filtering" sounds like the application could be CPU bound?

My test app is disk-io bound, I defeat the cache with a completely
random IO pattern , and I use > 60 threads/processes.

With 16 threads/processes, the difference is only 15%.

--
	Manfred