Re: pci-pci bridge not working

Adam Fritzler (mid@auk.cx)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:24:45 +0000 (UTC)

I was partially mistaken -- the far side of the bridge is getting
partially seen:

02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device
6057 (rev 01)

That is on the other side of the pci-pci bridge (bus 2). However, its got
the wrong manufacturer ID (should be 11DE (Zoran), its showing up as 10DE
(nVidia)), but the device ID is correct for the Zoran video interface
(6057). This is quite a mysterious problem. Not only is that number
getting corrupt, but the other device that should be on bus 2, an Advansys
SCSI controller, is not showing up at all. (The bridge is a NatSemi
PT80C525, btw.)

This is beginning to look more and more like a bad board: the same thing
is happenning in Win95. In fact, on bootup, I should be getting the SCSI
BIOS screen from the Advansys controller, and thats not happening. Also,
the list of PCI devices my BIOS gives (mobo is Gigabyte 5ax with a k6-2
350) lists the wrong PCI information -- the manufacturer ID is wrong on
the Zoran, and the Advansys doesn't show up. Further, Win95 doesn't
detect it correctly either, on several different machines.

So, I guess sorry for bothering the list with bad hardware. Unless this
is a common problem that is fixable by BIOS settings twiddling...?

af

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Adam Fritzler wrote:

> lspci attached. All bootup PCI messages have scrolled out of my dmesg.
> If you really need them, I can reboot.
>
> af
>
> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Martin Mares wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > > I am trying to use an iomega buz board in my linux box (running 2.3.28).
> > > The board has a NatSemi PicoPower PCI-to-PCI bridge on it, and a Zoran and
> > > Advansys SCSI controller on the far side of the bridge. However, the
> > > latter two devices are not getting detected by linux, as the pci-pci
> > > bridge does not appear to be getting setup.
> >
> > Please send me complete 'lspci -vvx' output for your machine and also
> > all PCI related kernel messages.
> >
> > Have a nice fortnight
> > --
> > Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> <mj@suse.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/