Re: updating the RTC automagically

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:17:04 +0200

On 18 Nov 99, at 14:17, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Ulrich.

> >> Are you proposing to put this facility in the kernel? There's
> >> already a perfectly good userspace program to do that - take a
> >> peek at `man hwclock` for details.
>
> > A real UNIX system can also set the clock.
>
> Define "A real UNIX" for me, as you obviously mean something different
> to what I understand it to be - or, for that matter, what the authors
> of the various different UNIX clones I've used in my 20 years as a
> programmer understand it to be.

In case if you follow comp.protocols.time.ntp occasionally, you will
find out that a lot of problems are related to problems where Linux
does not update the RTC properly (e.g. when running localtime, not
UTC). Let's say HP-UX 11.0 is a real UNIX if that helps you. I'm also
aware that the RTC update code is basically unchanged since Linux-
0.99.

> >> There are quite a few people don't bother replying to mailing
> >> list postings that state the poster isn't subscribed to the
> >> list, on the basis of "if (s)he can't be bother to subscribe, I
> >> can't be bothered to reply"...
>
> > Getting 200 messages per day is not an option if it's not your
> > fulltime job.
>
> {Shrug} It's not my fulltime job, but I quite happily handle the full
> linux-kernel feed, together with several other mailing lists - my
> mailbox averages somewhere between 500 and 700 new messages a day.

Maybe you have a real Internet connection, possibly even at home.
Different here.

> However, that's beside the point: My comment was simply to explain why
> the author might not get as many replies as they might expect, and was
> NOT a criticism of any sort.
>
> It happens to be fact that such happens, as is the fact that some
> people have spam filters that kill any mail containing the word
> "subscribe" because of the number of such messages that reach the

s/subscribe/subscribe\[^d\]/ ;-)

> various mailing lists instead of majordomo or listserv or whatever.
> As a result, such people would not have even seen that message in
> the first place.
>
> Best wishes from Riley.

[...]
Regards,