Re: Transparent mounts

Andrew Hilborne (andrew.hilborne@gxn.net)
18 Nov 1999 21:14:39 +0000

Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 09:26:41PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:
> > Basically, one facility I could use is that of being able to mount two
> > or more partitions on top of each other and have all the files from
> > all of the partitions available for reading. This is what I call a
> > transparent mount.
>
> It sounds a lot like (BSD's?) union mount.

It is also similar to the experimental BSD vpath. There is a paper somewhere on
this. Vpaths were stored in the kernel per-user as a stack. They then worked
rather like the makefile VPATH directive, indeed this is probably what inspired
it.

A per-user vpath affected namei lookups. Apparently the kernel mods required
were small.

--
Andrew Hilborne