Re: 2.3.28 bugs and things to do.

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:01:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Aha, seems to be same problem like with my toshiba. I think
> memory-tester at boot is good idea. Could some authority (alan, dave,
> linus) comment this?

Hmm, I am not so sure about it, Pavel. Because in the commercial world
"real" reality has very little in common with "reality as sold
to the customer".
More specifically, this machine is sold "without USB" but if you use Linux
you can see USB (unusable) controller. This machine is sold as "64M RAM"
but if you use Linux you see "96M" of which only 64M is usable. I presume
the higher Ms are for hibernation or whatever.

On the other hand, some other OS which uses a similar memory sizing
implementation as Linux works fine, so most likely it is just a bug in
E820 implementation under Linux.

Regards,
Tigran.

(of course, my opinions are only mine - why do I even need to disclaim
it?)