Re: Update to 2.3.28's serial driver

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:36:59 -0500

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:45:13 -0500
From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 03:19:03PM -0500, tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> * Add support for using the magic sysreq feature when using a
> serial console; it is accessed using by an RS-232 break
> signal.

That's a little conflicting. On sparcs, a break signal on a serial
console gets you to the PROM prompt (this is hardware handling).

It doesn't matter, since the sparc doesn't use my serial driver, since
it doesn't use 16550 compatible UART's (at least not for its serial
consoles). Note BTW that there's no reason why the hardware console and
the software console for the OS have to be the same device.

- Ted