Re: [RFC]: madvise(2) and mincore(2) in 2.3.26

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:34:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Chuck Lever wrote:

> > Also is mincore really useful? Either you have the memory locked and
> > then then you know that it is in core, or you haven't, then everything
> > is possible. I cannot imagine a useful application for it.
>
> vivek pai suggested mincore might be useful for applications that manage
> their own user-space cache. it's easy enough to implement, and might make
> it easier to port applications that depend on it to Linux.

Sorry to jump into the thread (this may have already been discussed), but
another piece of work in this area is RLIMIT_RSS. Kind of the opposite of
mincore() by the sounds of it.

ICBW, but I think RLIMIT_RSS still hasn't been implemented.

Cheers
Chris