Re: Ext2 defragmentation

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:00:18 +0100

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 10:03:36AM -0600, danielt@digi.com wrote:
> The superblock at the first 32M should always be there.
> It would be the first backup with 4k blocks and the
> fourth with 1k blocks (or the second with 2k blocks?).

... unless of course you have sparse superblocks turned on.
As I remember, the algorithm is to put a superblock at every multiple of
3, 5, and 7:

0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 25, 27, 49, 81, 125, 243, 343, ...

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of