Re: kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-0000, errno=8, 12

Eleonora Autore (ely@ns1.avnet.co.uk)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:43:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Did you compile ELF support as a module?

nay, far it be from me do such a thing. I am against having ELF (and
proc and lots of other things) modularized - they should be part of the UNIX
(=Linux) kernel always.

> You _have_ to set CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y for kmod to work. Otherwise,
> the first time you trigger kmod it will try to call modprobe,
> which will trigger a load of the ELF binfmt module,
> which will try to call modprobe,
> which will trigger a load of the ELF binfmt module,
> ad infinitum until we die with ENOMEM.

yes, I know that.

> There was a change to kmod in 2.3.27, but I fail to see how it
> could cause the problems you described. If you try 2.3.26,
> does it still not work?

I will debug it and report the results as soon as I get a chance.

Regards,
Tigran.