Re: Slight problem with 2.2.13 on an old 486

Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:01:06 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Brent M. Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just compiled a new 2.2.13 stock kernel on an old 486 machine I have.
> The kernel seems to boot up fine, but right after init starts (INIT: version
> 2.76 booting) pops up, the machine just sits there for awhile. And right about
> the time I was tempted to hit Ctrl+alt+del, there was some hard drive activity,
> and I saw an OOPS fly by, and the machine rebooted. I was wondering if there is
> some way to capture this OOPS before the machine reboots... I was thinking
> about applying SGI's lkcd patch, but I wanted to see if there was any other
> solution.

Hi,

You can use a serial console to capture the oops. (Documentation/serial-console.txt)

An alternate solution is to install IKD, and enable KDB. Upon oops,
the debugger will be activated. Poke bt and write down the trace.
(in case you have no other box to log to)

-Mike