Re: Ext2 defragmentation

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 22:58:30 +0000

Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
> How necessary is it to defragment ones ext2 partitions? It just hit me
> that defragmentation is very important under the Wintendo filesystem.

It's not as important. But... I had an idea for an ext2 defrag daemon,
e2defragd, which would take advantage of _disk_ idle time to reorganize
blocks, while the filesystem was mounted. This daemon would be a good
candidate for disk optimizations like moving frequently-accessed files
to the middle of the disk in addition to background defragging.

Of course, since ext2 is resistent to fragmentation, it is questionable
how worthwhile this is... defragging will affect different situations in
different ways, so you won't know how effective it is until you
benchmark it.

--
Jeff Garzik              | Just once, I wish we would encounter
Building 1024            | an alien menace that wasn't immune to